Meet the 2016 Mets, A Good Enough Team

The Mets off-season has been very “Mets”. One could gripe, one could be happy, one could simply think it was reasonable. But it was undeniably the Alderson-Mets; a conservative off-season.

Mets fans will associate it with loss, more than gain. Many came to adore Yoenis Cespedes and he (or a bat like him) is thought of, more than anything else, as the type of piece needed for a return trip to the World Series. The failure to re-sign Cespedes (which is more of a refusal to sign Cespedes on part of the Mets) has drawn the ire of those same fans. I mean, my brother is a pretty calm and reasonable person, and I get e-mails like this:

“The Mets fucked themselves. Royals go out and steal Gordon for 4/$75M. What a joke. If Cespedes goes for this number, it will be an absolute shame.”

The truth is that Cespedes was a great fit for the Mets at the trade deadline but he was always an awkward fit in the long-term.

First, the Mets need a center fielder and while Cespedes can play center field, he is not a center fielder. He compiled a -4 DRS and -3.2 UZR in 312 innings in center field for the Mets last year. If you look back to his time in Oakland the results were similar. He’s played 912.1 innings in center field over his career and has compiled a -17 DRS and -12.6 UZR. So, if he’s not going to supplant Michael Conforto and you can’t make room for him in right field with Curtis Granderson having two more years on his contract, there is no home for Cespedes in the field.

Second, his acquisition coincided with the additions of Kelly Johnson and Juan Uribe, the debut of Michael Conforto, and the returns of Travis d’Arnaud and David Wright from injury. Cespedes probably ignited something qualitative in the team, while blasting 17 home runs after the trade, but the Mets have ample opportunity to replace his 1/3 of a season impact with a full season of the other things that propelled them to a NL East title.

These are arguments against bringing back Cespedes, but don’t even touch on the most obvious inevitability  —  Cespedes is unlikely to replicate his performance in August and September, nor his performance over the entirety of 2015. Cespedes is a very good baseball player, but he’s not the baseball player the Mets are looking for.

The real key to the 2016 Mets offense is Travis d’Arnaud. d’Arnaud is oft-injured, but when he is not he is a great player. He could be the best catcher in baseball, but he may also cobble together a half-season of play, losing multiple battles to the disabled list. d’Arnaud provided 2.3 fWAR and 1.7 bWAR in 2015 while only playing 67 games. When he plays he is an elite catcher, and a very good hitter, ranking 3rd in wRC+ (.131) and wOBA (.355) for catchers, trailing only Buster Posey and Kyle Schwarber. A full season of d’Arnaud could exceed the value of Cespedes in 1/3 of a season…by a lot.

In the outfield, the Mets are banking on what they have. A full season of Michael Conforto would be as impactful as a full season of d’Arnaud. Conforto provided nearly identical value to Cespedes down the stretch of the season, contributing 2.1 WAR, by both FanGraphs and Baseball Reference’s measure. Cespedes value was measured at 2.7 or 2.3 WAR, respectively. It’s unlikely that Conforto can extrapolate that performance over an entire season, but he doesn’t need to.

The signing of Alejandro De Aza indicates the Mets are pushing it all in on Juan Lagares. Lagares will never be a great hitter, but if his elbow is healthy and he can revert back to something resembling the center fielder he was in 2013 and 2014, then Lagares will add a couple more wins in 2016 then he did 2015.

The team needs to hope that Conforto is an impact bat in the middle of the order, and Lagares reverts to his old form, because they should expect some sort of meaningful regression from Curtis Granderson, who will play his 35-year-old season this year and is coming off one of the quietest great seasons of 2015, where he contributed 5.1 WAR, the 19th highest total in the league.

The front office seems to have a strong belief that the depth provided by Kelly Johnson and Juan Uribe provided a large amount of value. This is the simplest rationale of the signing of Asdrubal Cabrera and a combined $14 million given to Cabrera and De Aza for 2016

Terry Collins will be able to shuffle the middle infield around injuries and match-ups with Wilmer Flores, Ruben Tejada, and Cabrera all capable of playing SS and 2B. Tejada and Flores will likely be able to slide over to 3B to relive Wright, who seems on track to start in an abbreviated amount of games in order to manage his spinal stenosis.

Finally, the Mets traded Jon Niese for Neil Walker. Walker provides equivalent value as Daniel Murphy and allows Dilson Herrera to spend one more year in the minors, or alternatively, gives the Mets a valuable trade asset to improve the team in July. Both make sense, although Herrera appeared to be ready to grab the second-base job — but between Herrera’s age (he won’t be 22 until August) and potential trade value, picking up Walker was the right move.

In sum, the Mets’ off-season wasn’t really one of gain or loss. Walker was the most obvious move: He provides nearly identical value to Murphy, while giving the Mets a little more glove in exchange for a little lighter bat. It wasn’t really an addition, but a replacement. Other than that, there were no other “moves”; just gambles. d’Arnaud is fragile, Conforto is young, and Lagares may not be good enough to start, at least in the context of this lineup. If all these gambles pay off, then the Mets’ off-season acquisitions will make perfect sense. Depth in the infield and outfield may be all they need. It just seems so rare, particularly for the Mets, that all these gambles pay off.

These do not feel like long-shot bets though. They seem reasonable and calculated. If you couple these bets with the belief that, in the aggregate, 3/4 of the season with Wright, a full-season of Matz and Syndergaard, and a full season of bench depth is worth 5–6 extra wins, then the Mets are a better team than the 2015 version, at least on a full-season basis.

And if it’s not good enough? Well, that’s what the prospects are for. Trade some. Unless it’s really not good enough, in which case, it was never going to be good enough. And that too is what the prospects are for  — the future.

If it wasn’t for last season’s World Series run, we’re probably more focused on the future of the Mets: Herrera replacing Walker; Dominic Smith replacing Duda; Brandon Nimmo platooning with Lagares and Granderson in 2017, all in tandem with a developing Conforto and the “young pitching.” However, the pitching staff is so good, the Mets can never abandon the present, but they also can’t screw up the future.

In light of all of this, the Mets’ off-season wasn’t bad, it wasn’t great, and it wasn’t exciting. It was good enough. They are taking a plunge into what they have, in light of what is coming and in fear of investing in a potentially flawed team. We’ll never know exactly what the Mets are thinking, but we know what they have done. The 2016 Mets were built with one eye on the future, one eye on the past, with neither taking too much time to glance at the present.

The following projections for 2016 were made using Steamer Projections

2016 Mets wOBA Expected Runs — 670 (.311 wOBA)

2016 Mets FIP and Def Expected Runs — 584 (3.57 FIP, -16.1 Def)

2016 Mets Pythagorean W-L — 92–70

You can read more of my thoughts, opinions, and research on baseball at https://medium.com/simply-bases. Twitter: @simplybases.

15 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Rob
8 years ago

First off, the off season isn’t over. Second, Cespedes hasn’t signed with anyone so the Mets haven’t failed in any regard with him.

I’m surprised you seemed to completely ignore one area of question; the bullpen. With the questions you brought up about the lineup, there are as many or more about the bullpen. There is a dominant closer, a former dominant arm suspended for part of the season, a bunch of young unproven arms, and no other solid pitcher. We saw flashes of the potential some of these younger arms have, but nothing concrete. Fortunately some of this is helped by the strong team of starters.

Back to Cespedes. He would provide value to the team. If the front office is going to preach about depth, then how could another impact bat outfielder who can at least play centerfield hurt. Of course this is assuming he comes at a reasonable price, but with three solid hitting outfielders, a superb fielding outfielder (assuming he’s healthy) and a platoon 5th, the depth of the outfield would be close to matching that of the infield.

On a separate note, I was really hoping they would make a push for Heyward. He’s just entering his prime, is a true 5 tool player even if the power hasn’t completely surfaced, and came at a relative bargain. Just imagine in a year or two, we could have had a Conforto/Heyward/Lagares/Nimmo outfield with a starting staff closely resembling what we have now. Just dreaming for a moment.

Rob
8 years ago

My fear with the bullpen is it starts ti fill out if we start pulling for spot starts or god forbid a starter gets hurt. I hope Blevins can come back and repeat his early dominance but what a small sample that was.

My point on Cespedes is it would provide a level of depth we don’t see in the outfield. The downside is he would be taking AB’s from someone else, mostly Lagares and some Conforto, but without Cuddyer and more overall playing time from Conforto, I think it would even out. Cespedes is not a defensively minded CF at all. But I think his bat would compensate for his defense. We have the luxury of watching Lagares patrol CF. I think it’s easy to compare the two and hate on Cespedes when we never expected him to be the best CF defender.

The Maddness
8 years ago

I agree. Cespedes had an amazing run, but he’s never done anything like that over a full season and his defense in CF is nothing to write home about.

If you take the career platoon splits for De Aza and Lagares and combine them, you end up with the same wRC+ as Brett Gardner, who many Mets fans would have loved to have before the Conforto breakout.

The Mets have made a huge amount of addition by subtraction. No ABs going to John Mayberry Jr., or Eric Campbell, Anthony Recker, Johnny Monell, Daniel Muno, Cuddyer, etc. Between those players listed, they put together a combined -1.3 fWAR over 909 ABs. If Cabrera and De Aza have mediocre 1.5 seasons each over those 900 ABs, that’s 3.0 fWAR, instead of -1.3. A 4.3 fWAR swing, or the equivalent of adding a Todd Frazier (4.4 fWAR) or Jose Altuve (4.3 fWAR) over the course of a full season.

Rob
8 years ago
Reply to  The Maddness

I’m more excited about the subtractions than the additions this year!

Gfuzz
8 years ago

Great read. One quibble. To say D’Arnaud could be the best catcher in baseball is hyperbolic in a world where Posey, an all-time great is coming off another stellar season, with skills D’Arnaud has yet to sniff. Maybe in the “anything’s possible” sense, but the point could be better made by saying D’Arnaud has clear all star potential.

Brent Henry
8 years ago
Reply to  Gfuzz

Couldn’t agree more.

Dusty Baked
8 years ago

There’s no way Steamer is projecting the 2016 Mets at 92-70 or anywhere close (mid-80s probably). I’m not sure what you did to get that number, but it’s way wrong.

Dusty Baked
8 years ago

Ahh. I wonder if there’s some systematic bias to too many RS or too few RA so that the average team would appear better than 81-81. If you’re using ERA scale instead of RA scale for runs allowed, you’d be ~10% low on RA, which would Pythag out to 84 wins, which is a lot more reasonable.

Mark Davidson
8 years ago

Saying Walker is the lighter bat really diminishes Walker’s accomplishments with the wood. He’s been the stronger bat in every way except for AVG over the last 3 years.

2013 – 2015

Walker: 1,725 PA, 8.6 WAR
.264/.336/.438, .338 wOBA
55 HR, .174 ISO, 118 wRC+

Murphy: 1,877 PA, 8.1 WAR
.285/.324/.420, .323 wOBA
36. HR, .135 ISO, 109 wRC+

Then the defensive metrics are split:
Walker: 3,544.1 INN at 2B, 5 DRS, -15.0 UZR
Murphy: 3,047 INN at 2B, -29 DRS, -11.8 UZR

They have provided pretty equal value overall, with Walker at 3.0 WAR/600 and Murphy at 2.6 WAR/600, but Walker is pretty clearly the stronger bat. I’d say the only facet Walker is Murphy’s inferior in is baserunning (1.9 BsR compared to Murphy’s 7.3 BsR over these three years).

Spels999
8 years ago

I tend to agree with your take. Cespedes makes his lineup super deep and dining decent health from Wright and Darnaud, maybe one of the best in the league. However, his defensive metrics in CF are pretty bad. Loved what Grandy did last year but the only way to bring in Cespedes that makes sense is to find a home for Curtis and his money.

The bullpen could use one more shit down arm but that feels like a deadline fix.
Kind of feel like Montero and Mejia might add a lot in the 2nd half.

Could use one more RH bat to cover Granderson and Duda. Is Ryan Raburn still available. Strong platoon splits and position flexibility.