You Wouldn’t Have Noticed If MLB Had Ties in 2018

There are a few articles, including one by Travis Sawchik, arguing that tie games might not be as bad for baseball as you think. The truth is that not only would ties have had no impact on who reached the postseason in 2018, but they would have shaved off four minutes from the average time time.

Using regular expression to parse box score data from RetroSheet, I’ve looked at how the 2018 season would’ve been different without extra innings. Here’s a look at the postseason standings as they were compared to how they would’ve looked with ties (scored 3 points for a W, 1 point for a T, and 0 for a L):

With ties, the 2018 postseason still has the same cast of characters, although the Dodgers and the Rockies would have swapped places in the NL West, causing the Dodgers to go to the Wild Card game.

That’s only looking at 2018. When examining the past five seasons, I found that the postseason implications of tie games would be pretty minimal.

In the plot below, each point represents one team’s season. The X-axis is the number of games that would end in ties and the Y-axis is the number of places a team would’ve moved in their division.

For simplicity, I’m defining postseason implications (PS Implications) as a team missing or making a Division No. 1 or Wild Card No. 1 or No. 2 with the scoring system described above.

There are 150 distinct points, so there is a lot of overlap going on, but the main thing to note is that there’s no obvious trend between tie games and division standings. For example, if teams are making the postseason by gutting out dozens of extra-inning games, we’d expect to see the dots with 15-plus ties below the X-axis, but we are not.

In reality, 80% (121/150) of the points are on the X-intercept (y = 0), which means that 80% of the time, teams would have ended the season with the same division standing. In only three cases would a team have moved two division spots: the 2014 Marlins (+2) and the 2014 Braves and 2017 Mariners (-2).

For the teams that would have made or missed the postseason, all the winners (2014 Blue Jays and Brewers, 2015 Angels, and 2016 Cardinals in orange points) had 12 or fewer ties, while the losers had 11 or more.

Of the losers, none of the teams made it past the Division Series and only the 2015 Astros and 2016 Giants made it out of the Wild Card game. With that in mind, it seems likely that swapping out those teams would not have affected the Division Series or World Series outcomes.

Impact of Ties on Game Duration

For the past five MLB seasons, less than 10% of games went into extra innings, but the difference in game times is massive. Below are the average durations in minutes for games that went into extras compared to those that didn’t.

Games that went into extras lasted on average 48 minutes longer. That’s an additional 48 punishing, beer-less minutes for diehard fans. *It is worth noting that five games in 2018 went fewer than nine innings.

We know that the MLB has considered a few rule changes to speed up games. If MLB and Manfred are really trying to reduce game durations, they should think hard about allowing ties.

We know that tie games are guaranteed to go through the bottom of the ninth inning. Using this, we can substitute the duration of extra-inning games with that of 54-out games to estimate how season averages would look with ties (orange dots) versus reality (black dots).

The trend is consistent: cutting extra innings would shave four minutes off of the average game length for an entire season. This is about the same impact that shorter inning breaks, reduced time for pitching changes, and limited mound visits had in 2018.

There are some other potential benefits of shorter games with guaranteed endings:

• Lower workloads: Every inning saved is more arms getting additional rest.
  • Exciting finishes: A scoring system that awards wins more than ties would incentivize teams to go big in the ninth. This would cause…
  • More butts in seats, both at the stadium and watching at home. I know I’ll sometimes change the channel on a game when it’s going into extras.

In conclusion, cutting extra innings from the MLB regular season would have an impact, but just not on who wins the World Series.

9 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
kidrobot
5 years ago

Brought up on soccer, I’ve always found American sports’ aversion to tied games as odd. I’d be happy with games called as tied after 10 innings. I’m nut sure why I’d keep the 1 extra inning but that’s my proposal. I assume Manfred reads these comments.

AHume92member
5 years ago

While interesting, I don’t think extra innings are the problem. Anyone can turn off/leave a game at any point. If extra innings were the problem, you would just see people giving up on games after a certain number of innings equal to or greater than 9 who would be watching/attending to that point, with game attendance and viewership unchanged. Extra-inning games represent approximately 1 of every 11 games: https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2017/8/5/16093390/extra-innings-time-how-long-how-many-average-rule-change

The problem is that people do not want to watch nine-inning games for whatever reason. Shaving four minutes off average game time isn’t going to change that.

Lanidrac
5 years ago

They might have minimal impact on playoff teams, but who really wants to deal with keeping track of points instead of straight wins and losses? The NHL standings are an absolute mess to analyze, even after they did away with ties.

Besides, extra innings provide for a higher frequency of exciting moments and plays than at any other point of baseball games. They’re well worth sitting through just for that. Who doesn’t enjoy breathing a sigh of relief or disappointment as a reliever escapes a tough jam with an inning-ending double play? Who isn’t sitting on the edge of their seat as a team threatens a walf-off victory and then shout for joy or groan in regret if it happens? Who doesn’t love to see a tight game where a single home run or fielding error potentially decides the game?

adohaj
5 years ago

Lower average time: the average time is shorter but the time removed is the most entertaining time for fans.

Lower workloads: does this even matter? Teams adjust

Exciting finishes: how would adding a tie system create any more excitement? In extra innings the game can be decided on almost any pitch.

Spinmember
5 years ago

I like it. The players union should get behind this, and team owners, and businesses and homes, near ballparks would like it , too. Sounds like a regular-season win-win.

GPB
5 years ago

Really enjoyed this article.

Hoping someone here can help me out: How do you add graphs or other graphics into a fangraphs community research post proposal?

Tim Jacksonmember
5 years ago
Reply to  GPB

Hey Tony,

I make all my graphs in Google Sheets, screen shot them, crop them to size in Paint, and then upload them into where I initially publish on my site. My site is also a WordPress site, just like the Community blog uses, but I believe it has more options because I own it.

From there, I copy everything straight from my site’s WP post and paste it right into the FG Community editor.

I don’t know how others do it, and they may have less convoluted ways, but what’s above is what I’ve found to be easiest for Community submissions. Hope this helps! Feel free to reach out on Twitter if you’ve got questions or want more details — my handle is @TimCertain

GoNYGoNYGoGo
5 years ago

Good analysis. MLB does actually have ties however, due to tied rain delays that are not replayed if it does not have playoff implications. For example, in both 2001 and 2003 the Yankees had a tie on their final record. Rather than the 3 for a win, 1 for a tie, baseball just adds a half win to the record. If a team winds up making/missing the post season because of a tie, the game is made up.

I agree that the really long (13+ innings) extra inning games become tedious to attend/watch and hate to see position players pitching. As a compromise, a tie after say 10 or 12 innings seems fair, reduces the need for bigger bullpens, and reduces the avg. game time.